Sunday 1 December 2013

A VEGETARIAN THANKSGIVING !

                IT'S FOURTH WEEK OF NOVEMBER : IT'S TIME FOR THANKSGIVING !!
I know technically in INDIA we don't celebrate thanksgiving .....but, there is no perfect time for having a festive meal with your family and friends . And THANKSGIVING gave another opportunity to get back with my  family and  to have a lovely time !! We generally do not celebrate thanksgiving at home ( as it is an american holiday ) but suddenly i had an idea that " I may not b a pilgrim or a native but there are lots of things to give thanks to " so, i arranged for a small get together at my home !! 
My mom and I put our head's together to decide the cuisine of the day ...and there we were with our final menu's .
1.vegetarian biryani 
2. gobhi tandoori       
and we decided to go a bit continental on the third dish 
3. cream of potato soup .

I made sure that the invites were sent and my dad and brother were at home by the time we started the meal .
My mom and I started cooking ...we had a nice time cooking together .When i was younger I din't like cooking very much ,I thought  it was hectic and tedious but as the time passed by i got interested and learnt that its a very fine art ! 
BIRYANI !! 
It is not really easy to cook a dum biryani .It gets burnt ,the rice doesn't cook properly ,it becomes very dry,it gets over spiced etc etc ..... so many troubles ....phewww ,,,
As i had my mom's expert guidance who is an excellent cook ,I was sure that my dish would dish out well (no pun intended) ........it was like a pressure test on masterchef and MATT PRESTON was the judge .....at last the biryani was done !!

MY GOBHI -TURKEY !! 
I know that every thanksgiving dinner is pivoted around the center piece "THE TURKEY ", but as i already mentioned that it was " A VEGETARIAN THANKSGIVING " we got a bit creative and started to collect the ingredients for tandoori gobhi !! BEING AN INDIAN we opted for the dish that is cooked in every PUNJABI household the tandoori !! 
This dish bought to the table the essence of thanks giving ! it almost looked like a real turkey and tasted even better .
cream of potato soup !! 
This soup was a continental touch to our otherwise indian cuisine . It was a simple recipe that i saw on one of the websites (thanks to internet ) :p and was finished in few minutes ,but the taste was mindblowingly good ! 

It took four hours for us to put together this meal and when we were done we felt relieved that the dinner was done ... everyone were at the dinner table by 7  and the dinner was served !! we had a hearty meal and all the dishes turned out well and we had a festive dinner and a festive time .
CARVING THE VEG-TURKEY :P

IN FACT I WAS THANKFUL TO HAVE A LOVING AND CARING FAMILY AND AWESOME FRIENDS WHO WOULD TAKE A BULLET FOR ME IF NEEDED . 
EVEN IF IT WAS'NT AN INDIAN TRADITION I WAS GLAD TO CELEBRATE IT AND WILL ALWAYS CHERISH THE MEMORIES OF "THE TIME I CELEBRATED THE-NOT -SO-INDIAN -HOLIDAY " JUST TO HAVE A HAPPY TIME WITH MY DEAR ONES !!
THAT WAS MY VEGETARIAN THANKSGIVING !! 

photo credits - dhanu K.V !
under guidance of - my lovely mom !

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the party snigdha,njoyed ur meal. Friends u ppl also celebrate tiss evry year dnt tink abt Indian or other jus respect one's culture and respect evryone

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum..yum..... vegetarian turkey :p i missed it...

    ReplyDelete